Last month, the super sweet blogger Steph from Tamed and Untamed nominated me for the Liebster Award, which took me by surprise and put a smile on my face! I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to do this post, I’m such a procrastinator, I really am (I actually remember a t-shirt I had in middle school with the text “Procrastinator’s To Do List: 1. Write List” or something like that on it. I’m also prone to rambling, as you can tell…) ANYHOO! The Liebster Award is given to bloggers by other bloggers (with less than 200 followers), to help promote new blogs!
11 Facts About Me:
- I’m 28, but nobody ever believes me when I tell them.
- I knew nothing about Korea prior to coming here, except that Bibimbap in London was one of my favorite restaurants (and their bibimbap is actually still the best I’ve ever had, go figure… 😐)
- I came to Korea as a straight-up omnivore, but now even the thought of eating meat gives me the heebie jeebies.
- I want to live in Japan so badly. I always feel like I’m floating through a Miyazaki movie when I’m there. And Inari shrines are the most wonderful things I’ve ever witnessed.
- I love walking. I could spend (and have spent) entire days walking, just for the sake of it.
- The most disgusting sight I ever saw was an octopus squeezing itself out of a locked tank outside a seafood restaurant here. Heebie jeebies to the extreme.
- My favorite movies (in no particular order) are The Royal Tenenbaums, Donnie Darko, Grease, The Lost Boys, Still Crazy, and Grumpy Old Men.
- Noel Fielding’s face makes me so happy, and I’m so sad I won’t get to see its pointy pleasantness on Never Mind the Buzzcocks ever again 😿
- My Masters degree in Irish Literature has scored me some pretty swell-paying jobs here in Korea, but hasn’t really come in handy otherwise. Who’da thunk it? (But I’ll always love it for introducing me to the national treasure that is Ciaran Carson.)
- The absolute best year of my life was spent studying in England. (Though I probably did more drinking and adventuring than studying.)
- Having a dog of my own has been a dream of mine since I was a kid, and I can’t believe it’s come true, in Korea of all places! I found Duggie purely by chance, and I couldn’t imagine having a sweeter, more perfect puppy friend.
- If you were to a write a book about some part of your life, what would you focus on & why? (Bonus: throw in what the book title would be if you want).
- I would write about my rock ‘n’ roll exploits as a youngster in the UK, because those times were da best, and probably give it some lameo title like Amandarchy in the UK.
- Do you have a favorite dish you like to cook (or “cook”) or just simply eat?
- My favorite dish to cook (without an oven) is the PPK’s Glam Chowder, cuz it honest to goodness tastes just like clam chowder (which was my favorite food as a kid.) My favorite oven-cooked dish is a good ol’ roast dinner (minus the meat obvs) or vegan eggplant parm.
- What’s something on your bucket list?
- Spend at least a year in Japan.
- What’s a pet peeve of yours?
- People who don’t cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough, and public spitting…(which is unfortunately very common in Korea, for guys and girls alike. SO NASTY.)
- Is there a story/meaning behind your blog title?
- When Eoin and I first arrived in Ulsan, we literally must’ve said “that’s so crazy” about ten times a day. Like, a guy speeding through a red light at an intersection on a busted up scooter without a helmet while staring at his smart phone and smoking a cigarette, as if it’s no big deal. That’s so crazy. But so typical in Korea. SoKoreazy. Ehhh.
- What song have you been playing more recently?
- The Darkness “Open Fire.”
- What is one of your favorite books to read, and read again?
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- What is one of your favorite quotes?
- “Not all those who wander are lost” by J. R. R. Tolkien.
- What do you like to do for self-care or to help you relax or feel better when you’re not at your best?
- Get snuggles from all the puppies at Bau House.
- What was your favorite TV show to watch when you were a kid?
- Fraggle Rock!
- Somewhere in the world that you would like to go to, but have not yet.
- There are many, but Cambodia will probably be next!
Here are my nominees!
- Stasia from Shichijyuuni. You really are ‘living the Tokyo dream,’ and your makeup and outfits are always the cutest! ^^
- Amelia from The Coconut Fox. I love your photos and adventures around Seoul and beyond!
- Jojo from Vegan in Brighton. I adore your awesome [vegan] adventures, and Brighton’s just damn spiffy.
- Wanderlust Vegan. Another expat in Korea with a love for traveling and finding vegan eats!
- Francesca from Memoirs of a Gaijin. Honest and humorous anecdotes about life as a TEFL instructor in Japan!
- Ellen from Apple Country. I dig your fun and informative posts about life in gorgeous rural Japan!
- Emily from Emily Loves Japan. I totally feel your love for Japan, and your photos are fantastic!
- Why did you decide to live (or travel) abroad?
- What have been your best and worst experiences living or traveling abroad?
- Which TV show are you hooked on at the moment?
- What’s the most recent thing you’ve found that you can no longer live without?
- How do you deal with stress?
- What’s your go-to comfort food?
- Where’s the most beautiful place you’ve ever been?
- What’s the weirdest thing that’s ever happened to you?
- Have you ever experienced a random act of kindness?
- What are your hobbies?
- Where do you want to live next?
The Rules (feel free to bend or break them)
- Thank and link back to the person(s) who nominated you and display the award.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominee asked.
- Give 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate up to 11 bloggers with fewer than 200 followers.
- Notify the bloggers you chose for the award.
- Make a list of 11 different questions for your nominees to answer.